Monday, July 25, 2011
In between going absolutely crazy with wedding plans, I have managed to make some headway on some brooches. I sent out some wax 3D printing for the backs but have yet to settle on a design that I like. The first round didn't come out so well. They were riddled with problems, marks from the printing process that when buffed out left the material too thin, wavy or melted in sections that compromised the design, and sprues in places that were almost impossible to cut out. I have decided to go in a different direction. I hand fabricated one and then sent it off to be molded and cast. By making one myself, I had the luxury of using easy solder and other metals knowing that when the cast came back it would be all silver. The cost of having it cast is going to be about the same as having it 3D printed. Here are some photos of the fronts, the failed 3D prints and the laser etching on the inside of my wedding band!!. Let me know what you think.
at 5:22 AM