Here is what I learned:
- I used 1/8"
301304 stainless which may be a little too thick 301304 stainless is not hardened tool steel so I need to experiment with cutting to determine how long the edge will keep. 301 is the same stainless industrial kitchen table tops are made from.
- My design is not perfect. I think the handle needs to be longer in order for it to be better balanced and usable.
- I made two sizes, the larger blade is about eight inches long. Unfortunately the handle on the larger knife is WAY too small.
- I need to figure out how to stamp or mark the blade.
- I am also rough grinding the blade as much as I can and then I am actually having the edge ground by a cutlery expert near the CIA (Culinary Institute of America). I would love to do it myself, but until I can get a hold of some proper tools (Belt grinder etc) I am going to leave it to the experts.
- I have to alter the design a bit but I would like to make more soon for the holiday season.
- I should really put a hole in it, either for rivets or for it to hang on something.