Monday, August 3, 2020

Ventilation install!

I installed the ventilation today.  It went a lot smoother than I thought it would.  I guess when you have the right tools for the right job things can go quickly.  As I mentioned in a previous post I bought a restaurant grade range hood.  I thought it was 1200 CFMS but it is more like 900 which I think is still plenty.  The hood itself weighs about fifty pounds hence the chain.  It is bolted to studs so the chain is just a safety precaution. I wouldn't want that thing falling.  

In a nutshell:
  • I had Liz sit and pretend to solder
  • I measured where her nose was and made the bottom lip of the hood end there.
  • I found the studs and bolted a mounting board the length of the hood.  
  • I then used heavy eye-hooks on the king-studs at the top of the wall. 
  • I hung the hood via the chains and then carefully lifted it up, adding a board at time till I had it to the height I needed.  
  • I then adjusted the chain and anchored the hood to the mounting board. 
  • I marked the hole on the drywall and cut it out with a trim router (setting the depth to the thickness of the drywall)
  • I then drilled a hole in the middle of the hole so I could do the same on the exterior clapboard.  
  • I then used insulated flex hose and strap clamps to connect the hood to a stainless soffit  vent I found on amazon. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment