Thursday, August 25, 2016

auction

I went to an auction the other day.  It was kind of intense.  They were selling everything!  The company manufactured lockets.  They were apparently the largest manufacturer of lockets in the world. From the size of the place and the number of machines they had I am not surprised.  

It was fascinating to see the kick-press stations set up to make an object. The first, presses the metal. The second punches the metal.  The third bends the metal and so on.  

I was also kind of sad.  They are seriously downsizing.  It was almost like going to the pound and seeing all the animals in their cages.  There was a guy who bought probably 100 kick-presses just to dismantle them for the legs.  Apparently in NYC people pay top dollar for a side boy with cast iron legs.  The top just gets scraped.  

If I had a larger studio I probably would have tried to bid on the bridgeports, southbend lathes or screwpresses they had.  Also I would have needed a truck and a forklift. 































2 comments:

  1. Wow, that IS so sad. It looks like there were some amazing tools and materials there. Such heavy things though. The truck, forklift, space issue always keeps me from be able to make a move on situations like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frankie! So true man! One day I will have a space and a forklift. I keep visiting people around here that have space and it is amazing. I am sure it will happen but it will take some time. I hope all is well in Boone. If you guys like tacos you need to go to El paso tacos. It was near out studio and we used to go everyday!!!! Good luck with the start of the semester.

    ReplyDelete